Na stránkách www.indianhealthyrecipes.com jsem objevil docela hezký recept na kuřecí indické kari. Zkusili jsme to a bylo to docela fajn.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ kg chicken or 500 grams or 1 pound (preferably bone-in)
- 2 to 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup onions or 3 medium onions (fine chopped or grated or paste)
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit (skip for less spicy)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste or minced ginger garlic
- ½ cup tomatoes finely chopped or puree (deseeded)(2 medium tomatoes)
- salt as needed
- ½ to 1 cup hot water or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped or mint or pudina
Spice powders (or use curry powder as needed)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder or haldi
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder or smoked paprika (½ tsp for less spicy)
- 1 tsp garam masala (½ tsp more if needed, adjust to taste)
- ¾ tsp coriander powder (optional)
Whole spices (skip if you don’t have)
- 1 bay leaf small or tej patta or curry leaves
- 4 cloves or laung
- 2 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 3 green cardamom or elaichi
For taste (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp curd or yogurt or 10 cashews or 3 tbsp poppy seeds (ground to smooth paste)
How to make the recipe
First heat oil in a deep pan, then add whatever whole spices you have – bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves & green cardamoms. Fry them till you get an aroma, just for a min.
Add chopped onions and chilies. Fry evenly stirring often till the onions turn deep golden in color.
Next add ginger garlic paste and saute till you get a nice aroma. This just takes about a minute.
Then add mashed tomatoes or puree, turmeric and salt. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes turn soft & mushy.
Pour yogurt or cashew paste, red chili powder, garam masala. coriander powder or just curry powder.
On a low heat cook until the mixture smells good and the raw smell goes away.
Add chicken and coriander or mint leaves. Fry till the chicken turns white or pale in color. This takes around 3 mins.
In a separate pot, heat up 1 cup water. Using cold water most times toughen the chicken so it is good to use hot water.
How to make chicken curry
Pour hot water just enough to make a thick gravy. Do not add too much water, chicken curry will become runny. Sometimes chicken lets out lot of moisture. So use only as needed.
Cover and cook on a medium to low flame till the chicken is soft cooked and chicken gravy turns thick.
Taste the curry & add more salt if needed.
You can also add another ½ tsp garam masala at this stage if you feel it is less in flavors.
Cover and cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 mins. When the chicken is cooked completely it will fall off the bone easily.
Lastly add coriander leaves, cover and off the heat. Serve chicken curry with basmati rice, chapathi or jeera rice, ghee rice or pulao.